Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Yiddish Book Center & NEWS

NEWS!  NEWS!  NEWS!


B'nai Israel goodbye party for Heidi
After 18 amazing years as Judaica librarian at Congregation B'nai Israel of Boca Raton, I've taken a new job at PJ Library in Agawam, Massachusetts. I need to focus my energy on this new adventure, so I'm putting The Book of Life on a (possibly permanent) hiatus after the 12th anniversary episode in December, 2017. I expect to get back to some kind of podcasting next year, and I'll post here to let you know my plans (once I figure them out!).

YOUR MOMENT OF FAME 

YOU can be a part of my grand finale! Leave me a voicemail or send me an audio recording with your comment about what The Book of Life has meant to you, about a favorite interview, about new podcasting ideas for me, or any other thoughts you want to share. Your voice may end up on the December episode! If you're shy (or technologically disinclined), write me an email so I can read your words aloud for you. I just want to hear from you, one way or another! Here's how to play:

By November 30, 2017, do one of the following:


And now, on with our show...
Lisa Newman in the Yiddish Book Center's recording studio

The Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, MA rescues Yiddish books and puts them in context to broaden our understanding of modern Jewish identity. This June I visited the Yiddish Book Center, where I spoke to Communications Director Lisa Newman, and to Christa Whitney, director of the center's Wexler Oral History Project. They both offered exciting backstage views of the Yiddish Book Center, and they even helped me clear up an old family linguistic mystery!

By the way, here's a link to Lisa's podcast, The Shmooze; and the address Christa mentions for requesting oral history interviews is yiddishbookcenter.org/tell-your-story. 


CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE PODCAST






"VACATION PHOTOS"



CREDITS:

Theme music: The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band   

Facebook: facebook.com/bookoflifepodcast   
Twitter: @bookoflifepod 
 

Your feedback is appreciated! Please write to bookoflifepodcast@gmail.com or call our voicemail number at 561-206-2473.



No comments: