I will be attending BookExpo America this year and I'm very excited!
As in past years, I'll be recording interviews for The Book of Life, and I'll be talking to publishers about the Sydney Taylor Book Award (I'm past chair of the award committee, so I like to promote it whenever I can).
Here's a message from the current awards chair, Diane Rauchwerger, for all you publishers out there:
Entries are now being considered for the 2015 Sydney Taylor Award, which recognizes the best children's literature of Jewish content. We would like to invite you to submit any children's books with a 2014 copyright that meets the criteria below. In order to be considered, a review copy must be sent to each of the nine members of the Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee. No application form is necessary; simply mail the books to each member in a package labeled "Sydney Taylor Book Award Submission."
The awards will be announced in January, 2015. To ensure that the committee has enough time to evaluate all of the submissions, there is no guarantee that books received after November 30, 2014 will be considered for the awards. Please send submissions as soon as they are available. The committee is happy to receive a pre-publication version while waiting for the bound book.
The criteria used to evaluate books for the Sydney Taylor Book Award are:
1. The book has literary merit.
2. The book has positive or authentic Jewish religious or cultural content.
3. The book is appropriate for the intended grade level in style, vocabulary, format, and illustration.
4. Whether fiction or nonfiction, the book is solidly rooted in authentic and accurate detail through scholarship and research by the author.
5. Textbooks and reprints are not eligible, although revised editions and re-illustrated editions are eligible.
You can read about past years' awards at the www.SydneyTaylorBookAward.org, a section of the website of the Association of Jewish Libraries. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. The committee looks forward to evaluating your new books.
Diane Rauchwerger, Chair
Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee
The Association of Jewish Libraries